For those who have time to burn.....here are my tales of cat vomit, culture shock American-style, faux pas involving large turds and lingerie (not in the same stories thankfully), Gynecology exams gone awry, and other misadventures.....all true (although at times, names have been changed to protect the not-so-innocent).

Followers

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

In the year 2020

First let me say that I LOVE COSTCO.   1.  They take back everything (They once took back an electric toothbrush that stopped working.  ----I had used it for two years.  They took it back.  All I wanted was a copy of my receipt so I could send it in as it was still under warranty.  COSTCO took it back.  They actually insisted.)  2.  You can eat lunch for free on a Saturday.   Just walk around and sample all the foods they are preparing.  Just last weekend I had a delicious lunch of rice pilaf, Greek cherry yogurt, kettle corn, instant mashed potatoes, apple juice, dark chocolate covered cranberries and a chewy vitamin C gummy.  and 3.  They have some really great buys.  


When I first returned from Europe, going into COSTCO was just too overwhelming.  I wasn't used to the huge-ness that is America.  The big-bigger-biggest-is-best culture in which we live.  After 22 years abroad, where petite and condensed rule, our over-the-top grand style had me running for the door after just a few minutes in any large store. Especially COSTCO, king of American mammoth proportions.  But I have gotten over all that.  I can now manage pretty much any American shopping experience (for a limited amount of time).


I have learned one thing about shopping big.....impulse buying can be a mistake on a grand scale.  No "little" mistakes are made at COSTCO.  Normal buyers remorse can quickly morph into regret on a colossal scale. For example, while there last week, I saw a great deal on Q-tips.  Just so happens we were out of Q-tips, so it seemed like a great buy.  Until I got home.  Then I realized that the 3-pack I purchased was 3 extra-large (HUGE) packages that totaled over 2000 Q-tips.  As I tend to use one per day, this would mean that I had enough Q-tips to last nearly 6 years.  


Well, that's just great.  I don't really have anyplace in the bathroom to store 2000 Q-tips.  And do they expire? Disintegrate?  Will they really last til the year 2020?  Maybe there is some other use for them.  Maybe I can start a new hobby that involves Q-tips, like some kind of Q-tip craft.  Or maybe I can use them on the cats' ears (3 cats= 3 more Q-tips per day=  my Q-tips will be used up in 2 years).  I even Googled "things you can do with Q-tips" and found a site titled "Cool things you can do with Q-tips".  That got me pretty excited.  I can not only use up my Q-tips, but I can be really cool while doing so.  But much to my dismay, this site only had five "cool" things.  None were cool, unless you consider their #1 suggestion--- "cleaning out the creases" ---to be cool.  Then I found a site "How to make your mom flowers out of Q-tips. Just in Time for Mother's Day" (not making this up).  Yeah. Nothing says "I love you Mom" like ear-wax-remover-flowers.   I also found a site detailing how to make a Q-tip blow gun.  Instructions state that you should tape a needle to the end of the Q-tip.  But there was the following warning:  DO NOT SHOOT AT SOMEONE WITH THIS KIND OF PROJECTILE! These are for balloon popping only."  So next time I have some balloons that need popping I am all set! The most disturbing website was titled "Don't use Q-tips to clean your ears!".  Apparently it is not safe.  


Now I have nearly 2000 Q-tips that I can't use for the sole purpose for which they are bought.  


Happy Mother's Day Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews